1. When you're shopping online you need to be sure you are aware who you're buying from. If you're buying with an online auction site, only buy from people that have positive feedback. On other sites look to see if they are a reputable company by trying to find reviews to them online.
2. Always save copies of your orders and receipts from online purchases. Many stores will redirect you to a page after you've submitted your order detailing anything that was bought, customer information, the prices, etc. You should either print a duplicate of this or save a duplicate to your computer in case any issues arise before the end of the return period. Ensure that you save any emails about your items' status or correspondence with the company regarding your orders, too.
3. When searching for a product online, take the time to read reviews. Try finding the same product on different sites to read as much reviews as is possible. Reading many reviews will help you get a more general notion of whether or not the product you are interested in meets high standards of quality.
4. Do not spend too much funds on shipping. Shipping charges can definitely add up. Many sites offer free shipping, free shipping once you spend a certain amount, or have a coupon code that permits you to get free shipping. Instead of paying your cash on shipping, look for a store that ships for free.
5. Before buying from a new online retailer, do some research on them. Check online reviews from other customers to see how it handles things like customer service, shipping, and its overall buying experience. You can also look into the BBB to determine if it has any disputes and whether those disputes were resolved professionally. Try contacting the company via email and phone number, if it's posted to ask questions regarding its business before you buy anything.