1. Before going shopping at any online retailer, do a quick search for promotional codes. Most of the big retailers often have promotions running that are not advertised on the home page. Doing a quick search for these codes will allow you to insert the code at checkout to save money.
2. Be careful where you submit your bank card information. If you are shopping online, only use secure sites. These are sites that have taken steps to protect your valuable information. A secured website will begin with HTTPS instead of the standard HTTP. There can also be a locked icon, in both your address or status bar, depending on which browser you use.
3. When you're shopping online you have to be sure you are aware who you're buying from. If you're buying upon an online auction site, only order from people that have positive feedback. On other sites look to see should they be a reputable company by searching for reviews on them online.
4. Although it may seem tedious, make sure you read the contract and terms before you purchase with a website. These documents have valuable info on what you can and cannot do when you have a problem with the item that you bought. Read them thoroughly so that you do not have an unwelcome surprise when trying to come back items.
5. If you are intending to be shopping online, make sure that you do it from a computer connection you understand is secure, like the one that you have at home. Hackers try to find WI-Fi connections in public places if they are scouting for victims, so avoid shopping when using them.