1. Never give out your Social Security number to an online merchant. This number is not required for placing orders online. Giving an online store your Social Security number can help them use your personal and personal information to steal your identity. To prevent that, if you carry on an online store site and find out that as a requirement, usually do not buy anything from them and shop somewhere else.
2. Make sure to read all the information about any product you are considering purchasing. Just looking in a picture online can be deceiving sometimes. It can make a product look bigger or smaller than. Make sure to read the description so that you know exactly what you are actually purchasing.
3. Do not spend too much money on shipping. Shipping charges can definitely add up. Many sites offer free shipping, free delivery once you spend a certain amount, or possess a coupon code that permits you to get free delivery. Instead of paying your cash on shipping, look for a store that ships for free.
4. To guard yourself use a credit card when shopping online. The government has passed laws to protect consumers in the event of fraud. The amount the buyer is responsible for is actually a mere $50.00 as compared to debit cards where the entire balance may be withdrawn by internet hackers.
5. Before going shopping at any online retailer, do a quick search for promotional codes. Many of the big retailers often have promotions running that are not advertised on their own home page. Doing a quick look for these codes will allow you to insert the code at checkout to save money.