1. If you feel you will be making a lot of online purchases in the future, consider trying to get a separate credit card to use only for these transactions. It is much easier to track all transactions should they be the only items listed with this card's transaction records. Additionally, you don't need to worry concerning your own funds being compromised, even temporarily, if you are a victim of fraud.
2. When shopping online, always try to keep in mind the buying price of shipping. Many sites offer free shipping on purchases over a certain amount. In the event that you do have to pay shipping, make sure that it is going to squeeze into your budget after you've added everything for your cart. Having a full cart only to find out you can not afford the shipping is never an exciting experience.
3. Sign up for the website's newsletter if they have one. Many times stores will give you a price reduction or some form of deal whenever you sign up for their newsletter. Find out if there is a deal associated with subscribing to the newsletter at any store you would like to shop at.
4. Before shopping from a store that is unfamiliar with you, learn what the store's reputation is like. You can usually do an online search and discover what others think of the business. It is best to accomplish this so you do not find out the hard way and lose your hard earned money.
5. If you are shopping online, never give out your Social Security number. There is absolutely no website that really needs this number for you to make a purchase. If you are being asked for your Social Security number during checkout, perhaps you are on a scam website. Leave this site and locate one that includes a better reputation.