1. Never give out your Social Security number for an online merchant. This number is not required for placing orders online. Giving an online store your Social Security number can help them use your personal and private information to steal your identity. To prevent that, if you carry on an online store site and find out that as being a requirement, do not buy anything from them and shop someplace else.
2. Sign up for your favorite online stores' newsletters. Often online stores sends out daily, weekly or monthly newsletters with special sales, discounts and deals. If you like to spend less, you might be able to score some good deals on items you were going to purchase anyway.
3. Be skeptical of overdoing it. It is much easier to overspend when you find yourself shopping online. You begin to rationalize that you can spend more for those shoes because you saved money on gas and the food you would have gotten if you went to the mall, for instance. Give yourself a limit and follow it.
4. Sign up for the website's newsletter if they have one. Many times stores will give you a discount or some form of deal when you sign up for their newsletter. Determine whether there is a deal associated with registering for the newsletter at any store you would like to shop at.
5. Do not spend too much money on shipping. Shipping charges can really add up. Many sites offer free shipping, free freight once you spend a certain amount, or have a coupon code that permits you to get free delivery. Instead of paying your cash on shipping, look for a store that ships for free.